Whiskey for Chest Cold – an AMISH Home Remedy?
Yep, even the amish keep a bottle of Jack Daniels in their cupboards as a great ” whiskey for chest cold remedy”.. My dad used to keep a bottle of Schnapps on hand for the same thing.
While it is very true that most amish don’t drink alcohol, it is a handed me down tradition that having that little bottle of whiskey or schnapps hidden away in the top corner cupboard was a sure way to fight off the beginnings of a congestion or chest cold.
You can either just take a healthy swig of the whiskey before heading to bed, or make a hot toddy and sip on it for awhile.
A Carnegie Mellon study showed that moderate drinkers had increased resistance to viral infections. While booze won’t heal you, small amounts of liquor can help relieve the symptoms of sore throats, muscle pain, congestion and sleeplessness (duh).
And Now for a Few Hot Toddy for Chest Cold Recipes:
- Make a half cup of tea with a tea bag ( my favorite mint tea bags!)
- add a good shot of whiskey
- Tablespoon of raw organic honey
- Healthy squeeze of lemon juice
- and couple of whole cloves
- let it all set for a bit and then drink it.
The secret to this next toddy is to NOT heat it in the microwave…. just bring the lemon and honey to a slow boil on the stove before adding the rum. For some reason, boiling the honey and lemon gives it a homeopathic affect.
Ingredients for this hot toddy recipe:
Juice from 2 lemons (MUST use real lemons, not the artificial lemon juice)
1/4 cup organic raw honey
generous shot of rum
- Mix the lemon juice and honey in a small saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Then let it cool down a little bit before adding the rum. It can still be warm when you add the rum.(or you can use whiskey if you want) Take this mixture a Tablespoon at a time, as you need it. Or you can also mix it with a cup of your favorite tea and sip it.
Preferred Natural Remedy Cough Congestion or a Cold
I personally prefer essential oils to whiskey for chest cold as a remedy, or when it comes to finding a natural remedy for cough congestion OR any common cold.
I found a great economy oil to use in place of the Onguard and Thieves oils from the mlm companies, named FOUR THIEVES ESSENTIAL OIL that is awesome and smells so good!
A few tips on how to use essential oils to relieve cough congestion and colds.
- Dab some oil behind the ears and rub it into the skin down along the throat and even under the chin if there is a sore throat. Also apply to the bottom of the feet to help ease the cough and congestion overnight. Oils enter the bloodstream within minutes so it really doesn’t matter WHERE you rub it on, except I try to make sure they can’t rub it into their eyes on little ones, which is why I always rubbed oils and salves on the feet for my babies.
Four Thieves – Compares to Thieves & ON GUARD doTerra OnGuard Essential Oil Supplement Thieves 15 ml Essential Oil by Young Living Oregano – 100% Pure, Best Therapeutic Grade Peppermint 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade