Amish Natural Remedies for Sinus Infections – Kinda Like a Cure Almost
Some of these natural remedies for sinus infections and sore throats are almost like a cure.
I know. We can’t CALL it a cure. But I did get rid of a severe sinus infection once with a simple cumin seed tea.
I’ll never forget it. I was a young amish mother and we were leaving on a trip the next day.
Planning a trip as an amish person was quite a bit different than it is now when we plan to go somewhere! THEN we would plan the event WEEKS AHEAD of time and schedule a driver to take us, beings we didn’t drive cars … and if for some reason you had to cancel the trip, you’d have to re-plan and re-schedule the driver and everything… so you can imagine my dismay when I started with what I thought was a really bad toothache the night before we were ready to leave!
I knew it was too late to see a dentist, and there was something weird about the whole tooth pain too. So I told my mom in law about it and she told me that I COULD have a sinus infection. She said to drink cumin seed tea – several cups of it before I go to bed.
So I drank about 3 cups of cumin seed tea …. and I was TOTALLY FINE the next morning!
I have used this home remedy for sinus infections several times since then with success. Here is how I make the tea. It’s best to use organic cumin seeds for the tea and once again – you can buy in bulk from Amazon for fairly inexpensive.
- Add a teaspoon of cumin seeds to a cup of boiling water
- Cover and let it set for about ten minutes
- Pour the tea through a strainer and drink it – I’ve drank it hot or cooled down…either way seems to work.
More Natural Remedies for Sinus Infections
There is another great natural remedy for sinus infections that I’ve used more than once. In fact this next one is a very old handed-down amish home remedy for sore throats and sinus infection.
It’s also very basic.
It feels sooo good on a sore or ticklish throat.
Simply mix about 1/4 cup of organic apple cider vinegar with 8 oz of apple juice. Add a pinch of baking soda to kill the vinegar bite. The vinegar will also kind of carbonate the drink which is what makes it FEEL good as it passes by the tonsils. I usually just down the glass of juice. But some like to sip on it. Either way is fine and you can drink this as often as you like.
The beauty of most natural remedies for most ailments is that you can’t really overdo them.
Using Oil of Oregano for Sinus Infections
Oil of oregano is a popular essential oil for natural remedies sinus infections. The beauty of using essential oils as a home remedy is that you don’t have to swallow anything! ( oils are often the answer for people that have a hard time swallowing capsules)
In fact this particular oil can be used for SO many things due to it being a very good anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal oil. Oil of oregano can aid in the relief of toothaches, insect bites, arthritis, bladder infections, asthma, pneumonia, sore throat and wounds.
You will want to get the a therapeutic grade essential oil of oregano – NOT the food grade.
When using oil of oregano for sinusitis, you can do this in a variety of ways:
- When applying the oil to your skin, mix it with a little olive or coconut oil if you have sensitive skin as oregano oil can burn the skin if it happens to be a strong extract. We’ve used it without diluting the oil – but I suggest diluting it for infants for sure. On adults you can kinda test it. Rub the oil into the sinuses, on the throat or back of neck.
- If you have a vaporizer add a few drops of the oil into it so you can breathe in the steam – it helps to open up your sinuses.
- Mix a few drops of oil of oregano to some warmed up raw organic honey. Put 1/4 teaspoon of this mixture under your tongue … let it dissolve and slide down your throat.
Other Oils for Sinus Infections
There are a variety of essential oils that are great to use as a natural remedies for sinus infections. I would use any of the oils below. I buy mine from Amazon.
This much less expensive brand of THIEF oils seems to be a great alternative to those two very popular oils. We have used it for quite a number of things with great success.