Home Remedies for Allergy Relief the Amish Way
Every spring has folks scrambling for home remedies for allergy relief.
I wonder sometimes if there aren’t NEW allergies that crop up every spring! ( It wouldn’t be any wonder with all the new chemicals and pesticides that hit the market every year, and that get sprayed on all the surrounding crops and fields!)
It’s just a pain, cause we ALL look forward to warmer weather and spring flowers, NOT to the sniffling, sneezing, runny noses and sore throats that come with most allergies.
Our one son would get swollen eyeballs every spring as soon as it was warm enough to go out into the grass and fields to play. He LOVED to be outdoors so this was always such a pain, and we never knew WHAT weeds would affect him. We lived in Montana at the time and were surrounded with wild flowers and weeds – a beautiful playground for ANY young boy!
As he grew older the symptoms were less severe but he still always started out the year with sniffles and swollen eyes till we got a handle on it. The muscadine grape seed capsules seemed to help him the most.
Another one of our boys suffered from allergies and bee pollen helped his allergies tremendously. My 19 year old works on a farm and the straw seems to stir up his allergies when he forgets to take his muscadine grape seeds. ( yep, I have my WHOLE family on that stuff!)
What Is the BEST Natural Remedy for Allergies
There isn’t really a BEST natural remedy for allergies – it all depends on what KIND of allergies you have and how run down your body is.
- A GREAT natural remedy for allergies is to make sure to wash your hands often and to shower every night. Showering off the pollens and dust that we pick up during the day will help keep them OFF our beds.
- Organic RAW LOCALLY GROWN honey – buy locally made honey and eat it by the spoonful. It is an awesome way to help your body fight off allergies from local weeds and plants.
- Muscadine Grape Seed Capsules – these are VERY high in quercetin which is a powerful antioxidant that works as a natural antihistamine. The capsules can be opened and mixed in with food quite easily as there is no taste to them…if you need them for a younger child.
- Bee pollen granules – start with a half teaspoon a day and increase until you are taking as much as several Tablespoons a day within a few weeks.
- Neti Pot – flushing out the nasal area with salt water will help kill the germs and pollens that you breathe in.
I buy all this kind of stuff from Amazon..
Natural Allergy Remedies Anyone Can Use
My personal favorite natural allergy remedy children can use one is the bee pollen as you can mix it with their food so they don’t have to taste it. Or make a delicious shake and hide the pollen in there for them. It actually has a sweet taste to it.
Some of the most common essential oils to use for allergies are:
- Eucalyptus oil – diffusing the oils is best as you can just naturally breathe them in that way, but you can also mix a few drops of oil with equal drops of coconut or olive oil and apply to the bottom of the feet.
- Basil oil – use the same as the eucalyptus oil.
- Peppermint oil – Diffuse or apply directly to the skin or bottom of the feet.
- Lemon Oil – mix as a spray and spray on couches, beds and linen.
- Tea Tree Oil – Mix this with a little coconut oil and then it can be applied directly to the skin. VERY healing for rashes and hives that are a result from allergies.
I buy most of my oils from Amazon as they seem to have the best prices..these oils have SO many other uses besides allergies so it’s great to have them on hand.
Pure Eucalyptus Essential Oil, Therapeutic GradePeppermint Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential OilLemon 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil – 10 mlBasil 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil – 10 mlTea Tree 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil